Civil Rights Commission Report Flawed
The recent Civil Rights Commission Report on Florida voting rights was conducted by Alan Lichtman, a history professor at American University. Some fun facts about Lichtman:
- The commission selected him based on his testimony in January before the commission that there were "disparate" racial voting patters in Florida - the question he was hired to study later.
- The commission "did not know" when they hired him that he had served as a consultant for Al Gore.
- Lichtman's study was a statistical analysis which he says supported his conclusion - but he is a historian, not a statistician.
- The data which Lichtman analyzed came in large part from the Web.
- Lichtman is unable or unwilling to provide electronic copies of his data, to the point that Republican members on the commission have submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to get them. (He must have printed out the web sites he relied upon.)
Just a few things to consider, when reflecting on the common wisdom that Democrats play fair and Republicans don't.
Posted by wasylik at June 21, 2001 09:55 AM